A representative list of publications grouped below under: arts learning, arts advocacy, artistic development, community arts education, and learning in the art museum.
- Beyond justification: what students learn from the arts (December 2016) in Teacher Plus Magazine, Vol. 14, No. 11 pp. 6-10, Azim Premji University, Telangana, India. Read Article
- Muted Colors and Blurry Lines: Ten Benefits of Quality Arts Education in Crescendo, (October, 2016) Interlochen Center for the Arts. Read Article
- In Defense of Failure, Commentary, Education Week (October, 2003) Editorial Projects in Education: Washington D.C.
- That’s Science, That’s Art, Commentary, Education Week (October 2000) Editorial Projects in Education: Washington D.C.
- Nowhere, Somewhere, Everywhere: The Arts in Education, Art Education Policy Review, May-June, 1999.
- On Painting with a Young Child, Commentary, Education Week (March 1999) Editorial Projects in Education: Washington D.C.
- Why Must we Justify Arts Learning in Terms of Other Disciplines? Education Week (October, 1996), Editorial Projects in Education: Washington, D.C.
- On Children’s Creativity: Defying Expectation, p. 27-35 in Learning Landscapes’ Creativity, Insights, Directions, and Possibilities, Autumn 2012, Vol. 6, No. 1
- Intrinsic value: The arts in the high school curriculum in Visual Inquiry: Learning & Teaching Art, Volume 1, issue 2, May 2012
- Book Review: The International Handbook of Research in Arts Education. (Ed.) L. Bresler for the AERA journal, Arts and Learning Research, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 93-100 (2007).
- Redefining Ratso Rizzo: Learning from the arts about process and reflection in Phi Delta Kappan, Ed. E. Eisner. Sept. 2005. Vol 87 #1pp. 11-18.
- Greenwood Dictionary of Education. (Ed) Arts Education terms. Collins, J. (2004 and review in press)
- Balancing the Whole: Portraiture as Methodology. Chap. in Qualitative Research in Psychology, Expanding Perspectives in Methodology and Design, Rhodes and Yardley, Ed.s (2003), APA books.
- Passion and Industry: Schools that Focus on the Arts (2001) with Ackerman, J., Bernard, R., Brody, A., Gatzambidés, R. Cambridge, MA: President and Fellows of Harvard College.
- Creativity: Who, What, When, Where, with Howard Gardner, Festschrift in Honor of Frank Barron, Ed. A. Montouri, Hampton Press (1996).
- Introduction to How Asthma Makes me Feel: A Commemorative Book of Artwork and Essays by Young People with Asthma (1998), AAM, MA.
- U-Shaped Development in Graphic Symbolization: Cultural Implications of the What and the Whether. (July 1997) Human Development, Ed. B. Rogoff, Karger, Paris, London, New York. 40/3/97
- Drawing’s Demise: U-Shaped Development in Graphic Symbolization (Spring 1997) Studies in Art Education. Ed. S. McRorie, University of Florida Press.
- Does the U in the U-Curve Also Stand for Universal Some Reflections on Pariser’s Provisional Doubts. (Spring 1997) Studies in Art Education, Ed. McRorie, University of Florida Press.
- The U and the Wheel of C: Development and Devaluation of Graphic Symbolization and the Cognitive Approach at Harvard Project Zero. (1997). Ed. Anna M. Kindler, Child Development in Art Anthology. NAEA publication.
- Why Sally Can Draw. Educational Horizons. Visual Learning: In the Mind’s Eye issue, Ed. Eisner, E. Vol.71, No. 2, Winter 1993.
- The Arts and Early Childhood Education: A Cognitive Approach to the Young Child as Artist, with Howard Gardner, The Handbook of Research on the Education of Young Children, Ed. B. Spodek, Macmillan (1993).
- The Cognitive Revolution in Human Understanding: Its Consequences for the Understanding and Education of the Child as Artist, with Howard Gardner. Ed. R. Smith, The Arts and Aesthetic Knowing, Part II, National Society for the Study of Education Yearbook. University of Chicago Press (1992).
COMMUNITY ARTS EDUCATION
- Learning from Examples of Civic Responsibility: What Community Art Centers Teach us about Arts Education (Journal of Aesthetic Education,Vol. 44, No.3, Fall 2010, 82-95)
- Everything Old is New Again: Self-Assessment as Tradition in Community Art Centers. (1998) in Advances in Program Evaluation, Volume 4: Evaluating Art Education Programs in Community Centers: International Perspectives on Problems of Conception and Practice, Ed. Doug Boughton, JAI Press, CT
- The Wheel in Motion: The Co-Arts Plan from Theory to Application and The Final Kit of Assessment Tools. with Solomon, B., Eppel, M. & Dameshek, W.,Cambridge, MA: President and Fellows of Harvard College. (1996). (http://www.pzpublications.com/11.html)
- Another Safe Haven: Portraits of Boulevard Arts Center, then and now. with Eppel, M., Galazzi, M., Gonzalez-Pose, P., Maira, S., & Solomon, B. Cambridge, MA: President and Fellows of Harvard College. (1996) (http://pzpublications.com/9.html)
- Safe Havens: Portraits of Educational Effectiveness in Community Art Centers that Focus on Education in Economically Disadvantaged Communities. in Schools, Communities, and the Arts: A Research Compendium. Prepared by Nancy Welch, Morrison Institute for Public Affairs, National Endowment for the Arts, Washington, D.C., June 1995.
- Assessing the Creative Spirit: Project Co-Arts Looks Beyond School Walls. Alumni Bulletin, Harvard Graduate School of Education, Vol. XXXIX, No.1 Cambridge, MA, December 1994.
- Beyond School Walls: Challenges to Collaborations between Public Schools and Community Arts Centers. Art Education Policy Review, Ed. Carol Fineberg, May–June 1994.
- Safe Havens: Portraits of Educational Effectiveness in Community Art Centers that Focus on Education in Economically Disadvantaged Communities, with Soep, E., Maira, S., Remba, N., Putnoi, D. Cambridge, MA: President and Fellows of Harvard College (1994).
- The Co-Arts Assessment Handbook. Cambridge, MA: President and Fellows of Harvard College (1994).
LEARNING IN THE ART MUSEUM
- Abriendo Puertas: Setting the Stage (2003) Consejo Nacional para la Cultura y las Artes (CONACULTA) Mexico
- Metacognition and Multiplicity: The Arts as Agents to Different Hues of Thought (2000) Educational Psychology, Ed. M. Shaughnessy, Yale U Press, CT.
- The Muse Book (Museums Uniting with Schools in Education: Building on our Knowledge), A report on the work of Project Muse (1996) President and Fellows of Harvard College.
- Museum Games. Teaching, Thinking, and Problem Solving. Ed. Francine Beyer. Vol. 15, Issue 2, 1993. http://www.pzpublications.com/13.html and translated into Spanish http://www.pzpublications.com/14.html
- Open Windows, Open Doors. with Howard Gardner. Museum News. January/February 1993. Ed.Donald Garfield.
- Profiles of Less Frequent Visitors to the Renaissance-Baroque Gallery. in The Visitor’s Voice, The Cleveland Museum of Art (1993).
- Games for Museum-Goers to Play. (Orig. August 1990.) Harvard Project Zero Technical Report #38. Cambridge, MA. (1993).